If all the sponsorship process requirements are met, the Permanent Resident of Canada or Canadian citizen is allowed to sponsor the following categories of family members:
- Spouse of opposite or same sex
- Dependent children, including adopted children
- Common-law partner of opposite same sex
- Conjugal Partner and dependent children of the conjugal partner
- Parents (and their dependent children)
- Unmarried brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchildren who are orphans, under the age of 18 and who are not married or in a common law relationship.
- Another relative, if the sponsor has no living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class.